Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Someone To Look Out For - A Little Bit of Asa


So! This entry is about music and my first in a series about people to keep an eye out for.  I would like to introduce you to (unless you have the pleasure of knowing her already) a musician (singer/songwriter) named Asa.  She is from Nigeria, and her name "Asa" means "Hawk" in Yoruba.  

I cannot carry a tune, play an instrument (tried piano for 7+ years, and if I was to sit in front of one now... MIGHT get away with chopsticks), or even begin to understand how a composer can create a soundtrack.  BUT, I love music.  I am always playing music, wherever I am.... my setting always has a soundtrack.  

Every so often, a singer or composer creates work that really takes me on a journey elsewhere.  Asa, was introduced to me by my friend Emily (whose blog "Get in Emily's Head" can be found on my list of blogs to read) and I cannot tell you enough how much I love Asa's work.  She recently won France's most prestigious music award, the Prix Constantin, and too many of us Americans have no clue who she is!  

So, if you like music that is relaxing, insightful, and fits perfectly with low lighting and a glass of good cabernet.... This is your girl.  Her album, titled "Asa" can be found on Itunes.  Check it out.  Everyone I introduce her music to, loves it.  She is really someone to watch out for, and  I have a feeling (not just a hope) that this girl will be big news.

No comments:

Post a Comment