Monday, April 20, 2009

Wolverine: Origins & Why It Is Hard For Me To Care













So, unless you are part of a terrorist group living in the mountains, we all know that the wolverine prequel.... cleverly titled "Wolverine: Origins" is due out in a mere matter of days.  Yaaaaay.......  

Now, I think I am the only Xmen fan that isnt excited about this.  Why?  Lets discuss....shaaaaaaall we?

Ok, so Bryan Singer got it right.  He was successfully able to translate a comic book into film for the first time in years.  (argue with me that there was a good comic book film since Batman Returns... because I dont remember one).  His films were extreme successes and cleared the road for Spiderman, Batman, and everything else that has hit the screen lately.  He also was able to revamp a comic book, update it, mold it, and keep fans glued to the screen.
 
 








That being said, Xmen 3 was an atrocity.  It was a laughable excuse for ending a franchise.  I admit, there have been worse (matrix revolutions...) but this was downright sad.  There were so many subplots (most without resolution), so many characters, and hardly any clever dialogue to tie a story together. Characters were coming in and out, making cameos, being killed off/sapped of their awesomeness.... and not at all in a way to do them justice.  And can anyone argue that the Phoenix story, that had a whole movie dedicated to developing it (x2)was done in a way that anyone (fan or not) could appreciate or even understand?  Even actress Famake Janssen was not happy!  I mean, can you blame her? She looked constipated throughout the entire film! And honestly, what would they call Juggernauts action figure? 'Bondage clad Juggernaunt'? Hope they got the actor's popeye expression right. End of story, my love for the xmen movie franchise has been tainted.


Now, we are treated with a Xmen Origins film.  Yes, I agree that it is a good idea.  And who better to have their own movie than Wolverine.  But can you look at the trailer and honestly think that this movie doesnt look like a huge sellout?  Young versions of Storm and Cyclops? Gambit not looking nearly as cool as I had imagined. Wolverine showing his ass (im not even kidding... there are nudie shots)? Using a totally different actor to play Sabertooth and Striker? and, seriously.... Ryan Renyolds?  Gross.









I mean.... my levels of skepticism are huge... But, all this said, I will no doubt go see it in hopes that this will all change.  All Im saying is that.... the addition of so much information is ridiculous.  Cameos are silly.  Changing actors is annoying.  And when we do look at the trailer, its jammed with so many explosions and teeth baring, it's story already seems diluted.  








We'll see...  I have very low expectations (not at all helped by the picture above), but I promise to let you know what I think of the film.  If it wins my attention back and rekindles my love for the series....I will eat every single word I've said against 'Wolverine: Origins' with oil covered chopsticks made of bamboo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment