Friday, April 3, 2009

Far from anything?


So, tonight my roommate continued her tradition of picking movies I have never heard of and, subsequently, never want to hear of again.  Far From Heaven is a story that tackles many subjects - racism, homosexuality, marital abuse, and the isolation they make people feel.   Not too many movies can successfully tackle so many issues and make a successful film (the only I can really think of is American Beauty, which is simply brilliant).  Far From Heaven, is however, not brilliant.  Its confusing, stereotypical, and mediocre.  With so many serious topics wizzing across the tube, you you hardly have time to wrap your mind around one before the next hits.  And then, when it does, it is just scratching the surface and we are plagued with Gladys Kravitz-like characters who ruin everything for everyone in a very unrealistic manner with petty gossip.

The film takes place in the 50's and surrounds around Julianne Moore and Dennis Quaid's seemingly perfect family and life in Connecticut.  I wont ruin the story, but if you can make it through the first hour stick with it.  It does get better. 
 
Something I have to point out is the awkward dialogue, the bizarre lighting, unrealistic coloring, and cinematography as a whole.  Its all very studio feeling.  

The performance by Moore was great.  I also really enjoyed seeing pre oscar nom Viola Davis, All-State insurance spokesperson Dennis Haysbert, and Patricia Clarkson (who I did not enjoy as much as I usually do).  














Something about the entire film felt stagey.  I cant really put it into words, but would  I recommend this film?  Sure, why not.  If you are feeling like being deep, but don't want to put in much thought or effort, Far From Heaven is your rainy day film.

No comments:

Post a Comment