Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Bit Of Advice


I intended this blog for people who are interested in working the industry, and somewhat documenting my journey.  I have lots of advice, but so far... its mainly on what NOT to do or what HASN'T worked for me.  So, here is my first bit of advice for you all.  There will be more coming in the near future.

I am certainly not someone who understands what you have to do to get started in this industry.  But, instead, is someone who is struggling to figure out what one does to get a job if they don't know many in the industry.  The second part of that previous sentence is key, mind you.  If you don't know people in LA, who are working and can help you get started.... this town quickly becomes a lonely and depressing place where finding a job is very difficult.  

So, if you are like me I suggest setting aside a "going out" fund and meeting as many people as possible.  I tend to not drink during the week, and have found a good substitute if you are looking to go out, but stay sober - soda water and lime.  A good spot for this is a new bar/nightclub or a trendy restaurant on a sunday afternoon.  Going out, I've found, is very important.  You never know who you might meet.

I got some real advice yesterday defiantly worth sharing about finding jobs if you are having difficulty.  Read Variety and Hollywood Reporter.  If no one had told me these have job listings, I wouldn't have ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment