Saturday, May 9, 2009

Star Trek


We are all on the same page at this point, Star Trek is taking over theaters everywhere! And if you have not yet seen it, you are missing out. J.J. Abrams has again created something entirely new out of an old concept and did not disappoint.

Being someone who has never before seen anything Star Trek (No joke. Nothing.) and only have knowledge of the shows references through television shows like Family Guy, I was throughly impressed.

It seemed, thought I cant speak for them, that it was exciting not just for fans but newcomers, such
as myself, as well. Critics are loving it, even hailing it as "the best prequel ever made" - Boston Globe. Yahoo! Users have raited it a solid 'A', and with almost 5000 viewers to make that average, you know its quality. Even my mom, queen of the romantic comedy/drama, liked it and wants to take my dad to see it.

The graphics were beautiful, the sound was intense, acting - noteworthy and the story true quality. Im not sure if it is necessisarily setting up for the television show because, well... it ends up being a bit unclear, meaning I'm not sure it is a true prequel. But it was a great see the development of characters that you (mainly meaning myself) only hear of.

It is really a captivating storyline. From the very first scene, you know that Abrams is going to take you for a wild, often hand held shaky/camera, thriller that somehow ensnares a brilliant story mixed with dialogue. Its no secret that filmmakers of my age know what he is typically going for, and to work with him at Bad Robot (his production company) over on Cloverfield (the street as well as the name for his movie) would be a dream. Speaking of "Cloverfield" the movie, I loved that movie. I hope another one in the form of a sequel/prequel comes about. J.J. Abrams is certainly someone who deserves respect from the film world. If you dont like his movies, you at least have to appreciate his determination to do something fresh.

But back to "Trek", there was some odd casting, I just have to note. Winona Ryder as Spock's mother was not really as odd as Tyler Perry as Admiral Barnett, who sorta seemed in charge of Starfleet...or something. Both were a little strange, distracting for some. And John Cho (we know as Herald from "Herald and Kumar") commanded giggles from audience members when they saw the preview, but actually did a terrific job making the transition
from comedy.

AND! I am going to add something here. 'The people I know' section. In LA, you see people
you know all over the place. In movie trailers, as extras (even I have been in a few shows), and whatever. Today, I'm pointing out my friend Bill, who made his very own cameo (as an extra) in Star Trek. Yay Bill!
So, the question is, do I recccomend this? yes. Big duh. Though I know I wont, this movie made me want to pick up an old Star Trek television season or maybe movie. But again, cheers Mr. Abrams, from all of us out in the world of struggling movie makers.

No comments:

Post a Comment