Sunday, May 10, 2009

Batman 3

If you are anything like me, you are dying to know who/ what/ where/ and most importantly when, regarding the sequel to 2008's 'Dark Knight'.  Unfortunately it is no secret that everything about the movie is a huge secret.

There is speculation about everything, but mostly about who the villain(s) will be and who will be bringing them to life.  I have heard so much, including Johnny Depp as the Riddler, Philip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin, and Angelina Jolie as Catwoman.  Each of those ideas sound terrible (perhaps not so much with Hoffman).  But, as much as it sounds cool to imagine Depp or Jolie donning bat costumes, I think the way to think of this is to consider whether these actors fit the franchise.  I do not doubt that whomever Christopher Nolan chooses will be excellent, but these characters seem obvious, overly A-list, and... frankly.... just dont fit into the series.  Can we really picture Johnny Depp arguing with Christian Bale  about riddles, and it working?  I cant.  There is a very selective casting process, and to me it just doesnt feel right.  Its, in part, a large portion of my argument as to why the Xmen franchise is failing.  Characters cast now have different values than were once used.  Popularity is a large part of it.  

Onto the topic at hand.  I wanted to share an artists view on how they feel villains in the next bat flick should look.  Some are very cool.  Others, not so much.  I particularly like Harley Quinn.  Being that Quinn is a doctor at Arkham whose mind is twisted by the Joker, just before she breaks him out, I think her addition would be wise.  Especially if it takes the entire movie to send her over the edge and during the final climax the editor intercuts her having this James Bond-esque (blowing everything up, guns blazing) rescue mission.  That would make me happy.  This artist chose Kristin Bell in his image.  I love the image, a lot.  Costume looks perfect.  But do I think Bell is right for it?  Im not actually sure.  I cannot think of anyone else at the moment, but whoever it is needs to be on par with the acting level of the Joker.  So finding someone who can do that is very important, not just for the look.  The actors need to bounce off one another to keep it believable.  



But then there is Catwoman, who I feel is all wrong.  For me, I think this artist's representation
 of the feline burglar lacks the very thing that makes Catwoman appealing, pure sexiness.  Also, as much as I love Miss Marion Cotillard, I dont find her right for the part.  Personally, I would choose someone a bit more stunning (I think Cotillard is cute, not stunning), tall, and would look great in some tight cat suit.
  Somewhere I read a suggestion that I completely agreed with, Kate Beckinsale.  She is ridiculously beautiful, tall/lean, looks great in leather, and seems perfect for the role.  Also, I can see Rebecca Hall (from Vicky Christina Barcelona) playing the part.



Next, Riddler.  Johnny Depp would bother me.  I think he is a great actor, but he seems too easy of a choice, and, doesn't fit the franchise.  This artist 'Joshwmc' chose David Tennant, who could be great (I would prefer him as the Mad Hatter obsessed with doing the 'off with his head' to Batman.... or something a bit more off).  But my vote would go for Daniel Day-Lewis, for a scary take on the puzzle master.  I think his riddle would be trying to figure out what actually happened to Harvey Dent and work to expose the truth. That, and throwing small clues at Batman to where he would be causing problems next.  That would be creepy and no doubt a great performance.  



I wanted to throw in another idea.  Poison Ivy was ruined (as was Bane, Mr. Freeze, and Batgirl) in 'Batman and Robin'.  Something fun about this character is that she is a brilliant scientist who has gone nuts for flora.  Before the Dark Knight came out, I envisioned Grey's Anotomy and Private Practice's own redhead Kate Walsh.  But lately, I think Amy Adams would nail the character.  She is fair skinned, redhead, and can pull over serious as well as loopy.  She is classically beautiful and would fit into the series nicely.  Not to mention she is a brilliant actress.

Whomever the Nolan's choose I'm sure will be great.  Im just excited for it all to come together for a third go-round.

No comments:

Post a Comment