Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Salvation

The re-imaging of the franchise is something we should be getting used to by this point.  Not only has it become the savior for studios, but also audiences.  Fresh ideas are so welcomed here.  Without progressive thinking, where would film end up?  Perhaps Casablanca would have just been made....

Anyways, this morning I walked to the famed Chinese theatre on Hollywood (I live about a ten minute walk.... Im lucky, I know).  There, I finally got to see the new "Terminator: Salvation" and was eager to see what some have reported to hate, while others noted they were thoroughly entertained.    **Now, I warn... I talk about the movie... So there are some spoilers***

"Terminator" was what I would call a real "guys" movie.  Something in-between a Chris Nolan story and style, a splash J.J. Abrams intensity, and the beauty of Michael Bay explosions (you cannot argue that man's ability to blow anything up and make it incredible).

The story is simple, destroy skynet and keep John Conner alive.  Bla bla bla.  We know how it goes back full circle.  But what I appreciated was how even though we knew what would happen and that this story wasn't over.... (Kyle Reece is now a teenager and that in is late twenties/early thirties would be sent back in time to prevent Sara Conner's death....) I was still entertained.

So the story is far from over.  Director McG acknowledged this.  He set this film to be a new trilogy.  Id look forward to another.  
One thing I wanted to point out, is the films style.  It is tremendously dark yet delivers very complex CGI, but none of this deters from how amazingly attractive the film turned out.  Its very blue and black.  All other colors (minus the explosion) are muted, almost lifeless.  Its slick and colored like '300'(kinda) was but as the spartans were treated with warm sepia tones, John Conner got a 'cool' look.  It was a great looking film, and the action shots were really nicely planned.

I wont go into the story's twist, which is a little predictable, but the evolution of John Conner from a soldier/prophet to a leader is a good one.  And yet the governor failed to make his appearance... which was fine with me....  Warner Bros. used good old computer graphics to get him in as that bloody robot, and wow... it looked great.

The acting was good, I especially enjoy Anton Yelchin (who was also in 'Star Trek').  He is
 proving to be a pretty talented young actor, and when you are surrounded by so many other lifeless famous young actors... it is nice to see one shine.  Plus, Helena Bonham Carter's presence is always appreciated by me.  She is one of my top ten favorite actors.  And Bryce Dallas Howard.... she is not only talented, but one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood.  We all know Bale is a tremendous actor, so I wont mention him.  Sam Worthington also proved his skill.  It is nice to see a cast together who all are talented (and nice to look at).

All in all, I really liked it.  It is a completely separate film from the original two (and... the... ahem... 3rd)  but really, it should be different.  It takes place almost 40 years after the first, robots from the future are no longer secrets and things are meant to look and feel different.  Check it out, and let me know your take.

No comments:

Post a Comment