Friday, May 1, 2009

The Reader & The Wrestler

I recently watched both 'The Wrestler' and 'The Reader'.  Both are excellent movies.  
I'll Talk about 'Reader' first. 
'The Reader' is a coming of age story in Nazi Germany.  It centers around Michael Berg (played by 18 - at the time- year old David Kross) and Hanna (Kate Winslet).  Ralph Fiennes plays the older version of Michael and was directed by Stephen Daldry.

Winslet won an oscar for her performance, so we dont need to talk about its brilliance.  But someone to mention is David Kross.  At only 18, Kross's performance was outstanding.  He is really someone I expect we will see more of now in America.  

The movie itself is a thoughtful look at how one might live with their secrets.  It's very shocking in itself, being that both Winslet and Kross spend a good deal of the movie naked.  But over all, such a wonderful film.



Then there is The Wrestler.  Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei were both outstanding.  But, the Oscars already told us all about the acting.  I wanted to see the performances, but what I went in to this film not knowing, was what a great overall movie it was.  I loved it.  It was a real story, with real people, in a very real world.  (minus the Hollywood ending).  But I loved it.  

Also, I usually can stomach gore, but because of the realism in this film, I'd suggest preparing yourself for a little bit of blood because I was squirming.

No comments:

Post a Comment