Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson

Unless you live in the mountains cut off from all communication, then you already know the "King of pop", Michael Jackson, died today. It is unclear of how it happened at this point, but I have no doubt his publicist will make something clever up. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was suicide after his last few years...

The past decade of Jackson's life was not one many people envied and it will never be forgotten. He was ridiculed for his extreme lifestyle, appearance, and rumors of multiple molestation charges.
Never have I cared much for the gossip of MJ. It was like Brittany Spears, you just think "oh they are so crazy" and get over it. Personally, I think he was very disturbed, different, and perhaps compensating for being robbed of his childhood by stardom. And I use "different" very loosely here. He has been in the spotlight for almost 50 years, and it did something to him. Who knows what, but even so, he became a celebrity who had the most record sells of all time (Thriller in '82) but also was perhaps the most mocked of anyone, ever.

To me, I think it was too easy to make fun of someone like MJ to really care. If he really did molest people's children, why did we not blame the parents who let their kids hang out with him unsupervised? But we only blame him. Don't get me wrong he was disturbed and if he wasn't getting it, Jackson probably needed help. He certainly was nothing near being an innocent man. He was an odd one for sure.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say here is that for me Michael Jackson will always be....and always has been, "the king of pop". Not just a freak.

I say it now and probably sound like Im just making this up because he's gone now.... But, I have stood up for the man in the past, regardless of being the less favored side of the argument. And do I care about his personal life? No. Never have. I cared about his music. Let the lawyers care about his personal life.

But he's dead now, and hopefully we can all forget his past and remember his music.

To me, Michael Jackson will always be what my brother, sister and cousins listened to as we had dance competitions when our parents were out. Namely 'Bad'.

To my dad, Jackson's Thriller tape (yes... it was a tape in '82) will always be music that he loved so much, gave him chills upon the first time hearing it.

What's yours?

Cheers Mr. Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment