Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Inkheart

Due out in two weeks (June 23,2009) is the family/fantasy film "Inkheart" on DVD and Blu-Ray (read High-Def Digest's review here). I saw "Inkheart" in theaters before I started writing this site so I never talked about it.

I found "Inkheart" to be appealing, but nothing special. Its special effects were fun, but there was almost no strong climax. The story came and went without leaving much of an impresson. Would I watch it again? Yes. Do I think that casting Brendan Fraizer in it was a poor decision? Yes. How about the casting of Helen Miren, Andy Serkis, Jim Broadbent, Rafi Gavron, and Jennifer Connolly? No. All of the supporting cast was great. I love Serkis, Broadbent, Miren, Connolly, and now newcomer Gavron - who I am sure you will hear from in the near future.

What really made the film fall, I believe, was the climax. There was a good deal of tension which lead to anticipation of something big and magical to happen. Which never really did. All in all, it really was a slow film. There were two scenes that were supposed to be the first and second climaxes. They were the tornado (that ended up being boring) and the crazy shadow monster/finale... who kinda just stood there for about ten minutes and did nothing but loom over a very obvious soundstage (Imagine Sauron - before the ring was cut off - but without the mace and on some serious downers).

But, oddly enough, I would say that this movie is certainly watchable. It just not one I would
recommend to people looking for some great action. Good kids movie.

Here is the trailer, which certainly got me excited to go out an see it. But it is one of those situations where the trailer is more exciting than the actual movie.

Also, the soundtrack (done by Javier Navarrete - whose work on "Pan's Labyrinth" was amazing) leaves a lot to be desired... Dissapointing...

No comments:

Post a Comment