Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Harry Potter: My Review

I know this is long, so I’ll stick my conclusion up here, because it’s a simple review if you don’t feel like reading an in-depth one: Like I said. The film is a strong film by itself. It handles the lighthearted humor well, but fails to entertain on a serious level. It is certainly a spectacle and I highly recommend watching it. Reviewers have said that they believe the director and producer probably dumbed down the film to pave the way for the final two-parter. But other notes from critics saying that fans of the book will be happy with the film are probably incorrect.

And if you can handle some reading, lets proceed.

I can remember when my high school had ‘Harry Potter day’ way back before any films had hit the screen. I thought, ‘what is this sensation that I have no clue about’. The story of how I came to see the first movie might surprise you, I was practically forced into it. It was between going to see the movie with my mom and sister or stay home and help make Thanksgiving dinner, which no self absorbed high schooler I know dreams of. I enjoyed the film and was curious about the sequel, due out a year later. When “Chamber of Secrets” was released, I was in college. By that point, I was hooked. I started reading the books, with “Azkaban”, and was blown away, over, and over again.

What the films are today is nothing like what they were when I first walked into the theatre and Harry still lived under a stair case. I also find them more and more difficult to enjoy as book adaptations. The most successful story, I believe, is the third installment. That seemed to capture the magic and stay truest to the book.

Now we are on “Half-Blood Prince”, which I was lucky enough to be offered a ticket to last night at 1am (yes, I am currently tired). I will look directly at three things: it’s strong points, weak points, and what I disagreed with in book to film changes (pre-spoiler alert).

The film itself is a good film. I whole heartedly agree with a solid “B” rating that Rope of Silicon awarded. It has plenty to be excited about, most bold of these is the setting and cinematography. The combination of the shots and sets are outstanding. The depth is spectacular, the outside shots are rich and expansive. All the while, indoor shots refuse being left out. They are intricately set and seem to encompass the look from all the previous movies.

I would argue the second strongest aspect of the film is the use of humor. The trio is spot on throughout the film with fun moments of the supporting cast weaving in and out. I’ll especially note Jim Broadbent’s Slughorn, Evanna Lynch’s Lovegood, Jessie Cave’s Lavender Brown, and Maggie Smith’s (always on point) McGonagall.

Another strong point is the use of graphics. I read a few reviews and didn’t really understand what they meant about the “seamless use of CGI” until I saw the film. Although the action wasn’t strong (which I’ll get to in a minute), the graphics seemd so well done, that you hardly notice them. And being that this is a series with magical things happening all over the place, that is really quite impressive.

Then there is the music. What I want to point out is that Nicholas Hooper has yet again created his own take, but integrated themes from the previous films. The music, like the film, seems to be setting up for the next. As though you almost expect more, but know it’s coming with “Deathly Hallows” in 2010. It certainly isn’t disappointing, it is actually quite beautiful, but leaves the listener waiting, on edge, for more.

Then for what felt weak about the film. There isn’t much to report, but what did contribute, did so in a very memorable way. The film is long. People all around me were falling asleep (granted the movie was released at almost 4am), but why was the sixth installment of the fantasy/family/action film series like this? Lack of action. No one can argue that this film had too much action. Because it hardly had any. Even the Quittich scenes seem lackluster. And when there was some action (only two scenes), they were short and felt almost meaningless. Especially the finale, which leaves everyone feeling shortsided and cheated. The end of this book was perhaps one of the most intense and shocking moments of the series and it just whizzed by, completely sapped of emotion. For me, that was the most disappointing moment of all. Had we just spent almost two and a half hours to get such an unfortunate gut punch? When the scene ended on the astronomy tower, and we learn what/who/where/when is the Half-Blood Prince I was hoping for something a bit more chilling. And AGAIN it fell very, very short of my expectation. It leaves the audience thinking… “Oh. Well, ok. What’s next?” What was next for me in the book, was the moment when I thought Hagrid’s dog was going to die. Bellatrix (though not in the book), set Hagrid’s home on fire with the dog inside. Just as Harry confronted the biggest villain of the book, the dog was set to die. Though he was rescued by Hagrid, these moments were essential for igniting hatred for a certain character. But were lost and contributed to an emotionless ending.


**I tell you now, don’t blame me if you haven’t seen the movie. Because reading on will ruin any surprise**

Now for what should have stayed the same about the book. I fully understand that it is near impossible to get everything into a movie. You just cant. But again, it’s so hard to bring myself to agree with the producer/director’s choice to omit scenes (especially the few action scenes in a book that was all information and back story to ‘You Know Who’). I think the films that have started out negatively (“Goblet of Fire” in particular) did so by omitting Harry’s only family, the Durselys. They are an important part of the story, and leaving them out to create a scene of Harry in a coffee shop flirting with some girl… is rubbish. Next, I’ll note that I liked the scene of the attack on the burrow. But it only served to wake up the sleeping audience. If they wanted more action, put in another scene of what Voldemort was actually doing. Make something up, perhaps about him killing someone. It just felt needless. The biggest disappointment, I already mentioned, was the end. When Snape kills Dumbledore, its supposed to be shocking. While all this is happening, Harry is frozen (by Dumbledore) under his invisibly cloak. Once Dumbledore falls, Harry is freed and chases Snape and the Death Eaters through the castle. But something important is happening. The students and teachers are not hiding in their rooms. Many of them have come out, to fight for their school. They spent half of the previous movie training these kids for this battle, let them fight it! (Mainly, I wanted to see Maggie Smith in her night gown kicking some tail.) These films are just as much about the school as they are about Harry, Ron, and Hermione. It was a mistake to leave this out; regardless of what the producers think. And when Harry is chasing Snape, the two have a much more intense interaction. Snape is finally able to take his aggression out against Potter. And he does so. All the while Hagrid’s dog is barking from within a burning hut and the Death Eaters run for the borders of the school. One of the most iconic images of the book to me was when Hagrid finally freed Fang, and Harry told him what had happened. Hagrid doesn’t believe him and they walk back to the school together. When Hagrid finally sees Dumbledores body, he is…as Hagrid can be… a mess. The moment I think of specifically is when Hagrid covers Dumbledore lifts him up, and takes him from the student’s eyes. These were moments that were very crucial. And should have stayed to assist the audience’s emotional involvement. I understand that the ending is similar to the end of the last book. But only slightly. And the book readers were not disappointed, film go’ers shouldn’t be either. And to leave out the funeral of Dumbledore, continued the wash away of emotions. The funeral brought together all characters of the films, those liked and disliked. But it meant something else than just showing these people again. It meant the end of Hogwarts. The school will never be the same again, and that is why it felt right that Harry decides to not return the following year. I think it would be interesting if the director/producer filmed the movie, and didnt read the final book. Its clear they had.

Like I said. The film is a strong film by itself. It handles the lighthearted humor well, but fails to entertain on a serious level. It is certainly a spectacle and I highly recommend watching it. Reviewers have said that they believe the director and producer probably dumbed down the film to pave the way for the final two-parter. But other notes from critics saying that fans of the book will be happy with the film are probably incorrect.

2 comments:

  1. WHOA MIKE, even with a spoiler alert you cant go giving away details about the end of the seventh book its rude and reckless of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you went to school for production not for studies?

    ReplyDelete