Thursday, August 6, 2009

Grey Gardens

I actually do not have cable television. Weird, I know. So, when HBO released "Grey Gardens" starring Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange, I didn't have a chance to see it. Now that it is released on DVD, I got my chance.
And let me tell you, I thought the film was brilliant. Half of the brilliance came from Lange and Barrymore because the two of them nailed the characters.

The story bounces back and forth between a telling of their pasts, then going forward and recreating scenes from the documentary. It was really quite clever.

What I do recommend about the feature movie, is seeing the documentary first. Then see this. I think that is far more interesting than doing it the other way around. I also would have been interested to see some actual cutting between the original footage and this, it might have been more interesting to see some of the documentary added in somehow. Might have had some fun editing. Who knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment