Friday, January 29, 2010

Was that it?

Michael Jackson had a hard life. There is no question there. There were questions raised about him every time he was in the media. Every single time. But one thing never challenged in regards to Michael Jackson over the years, was that he was and unrivaled talent.

Often when I write, I find myself ripping on some movie or what not. But in the long run, its ok to be picky I guess.

That said, I didnt LOVE the wildly popular 'This Is It'. I just didnt. Everyone else went crazy for it, and my thoughts are that it was so because of the media and merchandise tornados set loose because of MJ's sudden death. What I was looking forward to seeing was a more in depth, documentary style story telling about the 'King of Pop'.

What I got, were concert rehearsals. Was it interesting? Yes, very much so. But was it deserving of employees at blockbuster, two months ago, walking up to everyone in the store asking if they would like to pre-order the movie? Or the building sized promotion lacing major cities? The phenomenal amount of tee shirts and sequined gloves set loose into crap stores like Hot Topic with 'This Is It' written across the fronts? NO!

I cant believe what a godly power the media has over the people! Long story short, it was a nice movie that showed Michael Jackson pulling out all the stops to make his grand return (and the concert looked as though it would have been unbelievably grand to see). It showed what a talent he possessed, his love for his songs, and his love of those who loved both him and his music.

But it all boils down now to one question (whether a simple or complex question, i'll leave that up to you). Would this movie have been so triumphant if Michael Jackson had not died?

My thoughts are no. We were swept up by the idea that these were some of the last moments of his life and that his return to fame only came after his untimely death. But this movie certainly shows a touching side to the star and displays every song we have loved over the years. I just wanted more than a concert I guess. Everyone who I trust as movie reviewers seemed to think different than me. High Def Digest gave it 4/5 stars Me, however would rate it at a 3-3.5 stars/5. A very average (maybe slightly higher than average) film. Rope of Silicon, a site a dont tend to agree with quite as often but appreciate their reviews, gave it an A-. Really? An A-?! We arnt talking about 'Shawshank Redemption' here! Anyways, anyone reading this who has seen 'This is It', let me know what you thought of the film and why you agree or disagree.

But one side note, I rented it on blu ray, and I would recommend it. Not all films need to be watched in high def, but I recommend this mainly for the high def audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment