Friday, January 29, 2010

J.D Salinger 1919-2010


We all read 'The Catcher in the Rye' in school. If you didnt, pick it up. Its a great novel.

Now I write about Salinger for a few reasons. Even as writing the story below about 'This is It' and questioning whether it was only popular because of MJ's death... I look to my right and see that I pulled two books from my book case and set them on my desk to read... only when the news broke about the death of the author of those two books. They are "Catcher in the Rye' and ' Nine Stories'. So, its true... the death of a talent we have not paid much interest in recently will redirect our attention to them. So... if you read this story and the one below... I am a hypocrite. ;)

Anyways, Salinger has very little to do with film. But in a way he does. For years, Hollywood has been after the rights to "Catcher' and no one, not Billy Wilder, Harvey Weinstein, or Stephen Spielberg could convince the reclusive author to sign those rights over. How amazing is that?!

But who out there wants to bet that with the passing of Salinger, we will hear of this movie being made within the next few years? Or that all of his unpublished manuscripts will quickly find their way to bookshelves around the world?

Cheers Mr. Salinger! We all stopped to reflect on one of the greatest novels of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment